Monday, July 11, 2011

Day 34- Monday 11 July

Today was a work day, first meeting the class at the Cimetiere Pere Lachaise, a very famous cemetery, where we looked at several graves of the authors we'd been reading [and Jimmy Hendrix] and many graves of completely random people, wondering how exactly real estate worked there as the newer graves, the newest we saw at April of this year, were stuck in the middle of rows of graves of much older but varying ages, so when one becomes completely illegible do they just clear it up? Something to google, but later. We finished class back at Reid Hall, and I got a panini for lunch super-cheap on the advice of a comrade, then had a slide quiz in art history followed by maybe three and a half hours of lecture, very interesting, but that was mostly my day. The bus, when it came, was sardined, so I then tried the RER, which was worse, and ended up stopping at a supermarket on to my way to Hotel de Ville to catch the metro, which was fine, and took a nice walk in the evening sun [which you can totally say here]. Maria made fab cheese ravioli for dinner, then I went to see a movie in French called 'The Invisibles,' which I'd picked out earlier in the day because a) it was in French, and b) I couldn't fully translate the summary in my Cinema Festival handbook but I thought it might be about spies, so I thought It must be really French, and it turned out to be more so a stalker movie, but hey, it's good to try new things. Walking back across the river to the metro, people at late dinners, a guy playing a flute, and more excitingly, fire performers, with hula-hoops, flaming things on the ends of chains, batons, those glass balls, lasers, so I stopped and watched them for a while, and took more of those weird night photos I like so much.

this is the cemetery, fyi:
this is what Jimmy's grave looks like, and the tree beside it is completely covered in writing, mostly song lyrics:
us at the grave of one of the authors we've been reading:
lunch, super-good deal:
the bit above the green laser bits is a fire-person:
another try on a different setting, juuuust having fun:
more fun, Hotel de Ville:

8 comments:

  1. Are you going to see HP this weekend? Are the movies in French and English or how does that work?

    ReplyDelete
  2. yum paninis are so goooood. I like chicken parm or chicken caesar panini. Also- do you remember belaying me at rock climbing camp? I went rock climbing today so much funn!! The belayer was a student employee and kept talking to people and I was like- he is not paying any attention, I am on my own up here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup, I still remember the knots. We can do some climbing in Maine, too, you can climb, I'll be your legal counsel. My panini was good as well, chicken, tomato, mozzarella and a bit of mayo

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah the cheese not so much

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was talking about my STYLE style, Erin always tells me I dress like a hobo, only with less sophisticated vocabulary.

    ReplyDelete