Sunday, July 3, 2011

Day 26- Sunday 3 July

I guess today was a slow day? I had pizza for breakfast again, then set off on one of my favourite walks, the Saint Michel one, where I start off at the Hotel de Ville, saunter over to the cathedral, then around the Latin Quarter, then along the Seine, across Ile de la Cite again, and then today I did the Pont des Artes, just because, and went over to the Louvre with the idea of getting a start on a paper, but when I got there I remembered today was Free Museum Day and the line was, seriously, I used a map to do the math, just under half a mile long, so, with the logic that with my official-looking ID every day was Free Museum Day, except a few private museums that aren't free even the first Sundays of the month, so whatever, I went to the Tuileries, where tourists like myself hunted chairs like professional Neanderthals, eventually got one, did my reading for tomorrow [sixty pages in French, baby], then set off on a quest to find a public toilet to change, which, in their usual elusive public-toilet ways, were not to be found in their time of need and it took me a metro ride and half an hour to locate one in a secretive corner of the Jardin du Luxembourg, and there I changed for frisbee, and walked around my old haunting grounds of Cite Universitaire for a bit in happy memory before making my way to the back, where fields and trees and sunbathers and picnickers stretched and then I realized it might be difficult to locate the people, but I did, eventually, and we threw for a while and hit only one person before conducting a four-on-four mixed-nationalities teams game in this like tree-lined corridor between two jogging paths, and actually the other three on my team were French but the other side had a Mexican, Dominican Republican, Portuguese and Frenchman and they won, but not by too too much, and it was a good game, after which everyone went their separate ways and I tried to take a metro, but there seemed to be a demonstration going on as maybe a thousand black people seemed to be mulling about the area and my type of policemen, the ones in riot gear with shields, not the ones that walk around public parks with large guns or the ones with dogs in the metro, were stationed about looking business-y, and the train seemed to not be an option, but an unnecessarily long metro and then train ride gave me more time to read, and I stopped at a small grocery just by the apartment for Food and had an actually nice mini-conversation with the proprietor, who was oddly jovial for his being at work around ten on a Sunday, then had a fantastic dinner, yoghurt, sandwich, pasta, then cleaned myself, and now I'm going to update this past weekend and yesterday if I don't need to pass out first : )

just walking, there were many Sunday morning walkers, joggers, bikers, roller bladers
touristas, it makes me so happy to take photos of people taking photos, no idea why, but that's why there are always more people than necessarily necessary in my photos of famous places
prettiness, but I couldn't get a chair here, and didn't feel like dragging the one I found the length of the parc, so I sat myself by the fountain and the contrary wind changed and I ended up actually soaking wet, which prohibited my feeling my sunburn develop until it was far, far too late
rollerbladers while I was waiting for the public restroom to clean itself
this is what it looks like, sorry I forgot to take a picture of the outside, though maybe it's enough I decided to post the inside?
this is where I used to live! First floor, room on the east corner, blocked by a tree in this photo
yup.

2 comments:

  1. How r we supposed to know which corner is east? Have you seen the tour yet? Were you serious about me bringing you Wendy's?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh nvm about the Wendy's I just saw your message. I'm taking an 8 hour bus that I think leaves at 6 in the morning so if I can find an open Wendy's at that time in the morning then I'll do my best.

    ReplyDelete