Sunday, July 10, 2011

Day 33- Sunday 10 July

Today started out as a late market day, just puttering about and enjoying Things, the reasonably cool weather, clear skies, being in Paris. Anticipating lunch, I got a container of paella, which they were cooking open at a few stands, and a small loaf of bread, which I ate in a parc out by the east train station, and then eventually met up with the others, Lauren and Layne, at the Opera Garnier for another try at the English tour. Sadly, it had closed an hour and a half earlier, off-schedule, so we went to the other half of the Musee des Arts Decoratifs [the first bit, full of furniture and the chair room, remember? I'd gone to with the history class], picking up Helen along the way.

The Museum of Fashion was neat; we first toured the jewellery rooms, and I liked one wall in particular that was organized by material [about half of it untranslatable, of course], and saw crazy things like portrait miniatures carved into conchs, and then a lot of shiny things. You can tell I'm really taking in the culture here [but I really did enjoy it]. Right, then we went into the fashion museum proper, which turned out to be two floors of an exhibit of one, I guess he's a designer, dude, Hussein Chalayan, and I wouldn't want to drone on but it was a lot to think about. I found the others in the upstairs publicity exhibit, and decided to sit down for a bit to watch a short film on the French's use of Napoleon in advertising, and it was great, showing bits of commercials and people in tricorn hats on vegetable products, you know, but the most entertaining one was at the end, and I understood [almost] the whole thing [and there were no subtitles then, thank you], and it made me laugh, out loud, in a museum, in Paris, ouch. I even looked passably native that day [but no more].

Right, then we left, decided the Ferris wheel next door was a little pricey, so I split off to do some reading in the parc, and later had an epic shopping trip, and, now writing this on Tuesday, I cannot remember what else the heck I did. I know I read some more on a favourite perch, the fountain in front of the Hotel de Ville, and I think made pasta for dinner, why was I so tired?
Bastille market revisited:
lunch from said market, with chorizo on top:
Gare de l'Est, or the east train station:
just the inside:
yep, les bijoux:
that black thing on the wall is a 'Mystery Clock,' I really liked it:
just the street, a bit of shops on the left, then a bit of the Louvre:

No comments:

Post a Comment