Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Day 29- Wednesday July 6



WORK DAY. Pasta for breakfast, then almost six hours in the Louvre, four of those looking at paintings for a paper, one and a half looking at Other Things and the final half hour being lost. You have no idea until you've been there how easy it is to get lost, and it can be difficult to get out, though at least the signs aren't in Chinese, you know. So today we have a short mini-exhibit for you titled Heavy Things in the Louvre That Are Also Incredibly Old:
like columns from an Egyptian temple, solid, no evidence of their being put together in pieces:
a solid stone sarcophagus in a really bad photo, sorry:
and the one that really makes me wonder, which came in three pieces, but the top bit seemed to be whole, and definitely not able to fit through any of the doors or windows [must have been in pieces, I guess]:
oh, and one of the paintings I chose:
Afterwards, I sat on the edge of one of the fountains for a bit:
strategizing, visited a Monop' for today's pastry, a pain au chocolat, and walked to the Opera Garnier, inspiration for the Phantom of the Opera:
And I checked out the hours for the English tours [plan for this weekend], then remembered I have a five page paper to write due tonight, and am now at the apartment procrastinating, I guess .....

3 comments:

  1. mmm coffee with a croissant.. nothing beats that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you live here one day:

    http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/house-of-shelves.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty cool, Tori, I liked the article that went with it. Relevant to New York, then, or are you just in the market?

    and I really don't know why they've set up the Tour stands so early, they're patriotic but don't do much for the scenery and just confuse most people, vandalism waiting to happen.

    ReplyDelete