Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day 8- Wednesday 15 June

Taking the bus for the first time so far to class, I arrived barely on time for a marathon of Moliere, the French equivalent of our Shakespeare. Thankfully his writing is so far less inordinately inventive as dear Will's and I can follow it without too much difficulty, and we're going to see the play as a group this Saturday. Deciding to grab lunch with two other girls, we stopped at a small boulangerie-patisserie and I took photos for your current benefit and my anticipated lack of photographic recall:
the drops are one the lowest shelf, second from the left :)
Fairly typical selection, and I got a three cheese tourte and a drops [a folded pastry with butter and chocolate chips, probably really American of me to keep getting chocolate things but they're sooooo good] as we walked to the phone store. Afterwards, I stayed at Reid Hall and worked on my online class until it was time to meet at the Louvre. Getting in for free with the group, we mini-toured the eighteenth-century French painting areas, but even that took a fair while, and afterwards I stayed to complete an assignment and just to stay, because otherwise I would have had to get a billet. This time, for our benefits, I tried to photo a sample of the different rooms in the Louvre; bits of it are constantly being remodelled and refurnished, and this has been going on since the early 1800s, so if you haven't been there you can't imagine the variety of different styles of rooms there are:
la Joconde, also known as the Mona Lisa
I once again got caught up in the Egypt section, because I love how they have as much Egyptian Stuff as they do European Stuff, almost, and fell in love with some plates. Driven out from the various wings into the pyramid area, I spent some time after just enjoying the air in les Tuileries, then walked past Concorde up a bit of the lower Champs, home to embassies and private museums and les tres riches, to a metro stop. This one, right by the Grand Palais [a Universal Exposition relic, then and now a museum, of course], was decidedly educative, and I learned that crickets from Afghanistan that live off cigarette butts live in some of the metro stops, but populations have been declining recently as a result of restrictive smoking laws. Getting back for a dinner of pasta, headache medicine and Nutella, I was educated by Heloise on French humor a bit as I showed her funny youtube videos, and she did not laugh, and she showed me funny French youtube videos, and I did not laugh ....

Weird things about France: Umm, their ovens are numbered 1 - 10 [lame, sorry], there are no degrees, though it's probably all the same as it's not like I can convert from centigrade to Fahrenheit in my head.
haha, colour, I love it

No comments:

Post a Comment