Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 18- Saturday 25 June

Leaving Arles, there was a small market and I got myself some pain au chocolats for the day:
this is near the gare [train station], and you can see the old city:
on the train to Cassis:
now I'm there, this is the port:
now I'm on another tourist boat, looking at the calanques:
and now you're going to see a lot of rocks and water and wind-beaten shrubbery:
the small fishing villiage of Sormiou:
different view of the vieux port:
beach again, clothed people, which was not always the case at the various spontaneous plages naturels on the rocks:
for the tourists, a re-enactment of a boat battle, I forget the word they used:
see the woman falling? They use basically poles, lances, to hit each other on the chest [they're wearing chest protection] hard enough to knock them off those weird elevated platforms on the back of the boats:
the Calanque d'en Vau, which I toured while walking to the hostel:
still walking to the hostel, forty-five minutes' walk from the town, wa-ay up in the hills, great place, I still got no sleep but it was fab:
On the path there, I overtook a trio of Germans in flip flops with whom I dined that evening on the trellis-covered front porch of the hostel, and we played a game a heck of a lot like another I knew, only with more rules, and conversed in Franglish and my seven words or so of German. They had a great story about hitchhiking from Toulon and, after seeing Marseilles, deciding to set off into the hills, and had to sleep on a beach, and didn't even know Cassis existed when, completely bereft of water and supplies, happened to stumble upon a beach whereupon a group of naked men told them where to restock, and they decided to stay at the hostel for a few days and take the sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment