Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 5- 31 May

Lately, I have been eating some weird shit, and dudes, you all know that I save cursing pretty much for special occasions. Today was mostly a day of logistics and running about- we checked out of the hotel and into our lodgings. I was woken up around 5am by my temporary roommate hurling into the toilet. Up until this point I had been utterly unsympathetic with her being sick [and getting molested, hell of a first time in Paris, right?], but this was pretty convincing. After packing, we went as a mostly-group to the ecole where we took our French placement tests. Between the excessive urinating and hurling I’d gotten about four hours of sleep [sorry for being vaguely graphic], so we’ll see how I did, but afterwards was the fun part: I checked into the dorm where I’m staying, and I lovelovelove my room! It’s a corner one, so I have two windows, and the second thing I did was rearrange all of the furniture, and the first was dance around a bit. I met up and checked out the other two apartments of our group- one that was three small rooms above a jazz bar, and another that was a continuous room with a small bathroom. Both had a kitchenette, a dinky table to eat at and two twins, and the second had a tv. I still like mine the best, though, even though I don’t seem to have any dishes [probably will borrow some from the others], because I’m closer to the metro and train and seriously RIGHT ACROSS from a park, and three minutes’ walk from a [for Paris] big supermarket and I have two windows, yay.

The supermarket, now that was interesting. I mostly went by pictures for some canned food, and got some kind of egg thing in tomato sauce, some kind of cheese, stuff, weird stuff, and the cashier ran everything through and I bagged it myself and there were at least eight types of jelly I couldn’t even guess at, even with pictures, and fish sticks and cow guts and dude, it was weird. Got back to the room and crashed, don’t even feel like exploring the jardin across the street, starting to get a callus on the inside of my second toe. But really happy, even though I’m now a bit afraid of jelly, really, really happy.

List of the things I have eaten today, in order: One (1) Swiss chocolate [rectangular folded-over pastry, insides of butter and melted chocolate chips, served hot (SO GOOD)], one (1) cup of hot chocolate [it was actually hot cream, with the chocolate at the bottom, and you had to stir it, and took me a third of the cup to figure out], about two point five (2.5 approx) kilograms of cherries [fresh, cheap, awesome and filling that I found while just a bit lost and shared walking around with the other students today and a guy on the subway], one (1) cup of citron presse [or pressed citrus, as far as I could tell, pure fresh lemon juice that we figure you dilute with water and add sugar to], one (1) sandwich [of some kind of grain bread, something I think is ham, some kind of almost-mayonnaise and that cheese, no idea what it is], three (3) fingers of Nutella [again, no silverware, but it tastes better this way]. This place is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment