Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 7- 2 June AAAAH A WEEK ALREADY!!!!!

Somehow, in some way, google knows that I am in France, and yet my computer does not [just got the internet on today, apologies]. I’m sure this has … huge, just huge implications. That aside, tried to make a croque madame for breakfast [egg on bread with cheese and ham] in a variation of the past almost-ham sandwiches, and, appropriately, it almost-worked. Then went to class and got beaten down with prepositions, and went exploring. Park Andre Citroen was neat, and contained multiple mini thematic gardens within its grounds, and aside from the official paths had lots of others people had made, so it was a great place to explore. Many French Frenchies, few tourists, chilling on the grass, kids running about and people kissing everywhere [and I always thought it was an exaggeration. Maybe it’s a totally normal frequency, but now I just expect to notice it and do? But I mean everywhere, like on the metro escalator, jaywalking, any bench totally regardless of scenic value, etc]. Then I walked across the Seine to Bois de Boulogne, and really liked that- fairly natural forest that reminded me a fair bit of Maine, only thing maple trees instead of evergreens. There were official and non-official paths everywhere and joggers, again not too many tourists, and I saw a whole lot of rabbits. Because it’s spring, the flowers are in bloom everywhere, from dinky ones in woodland clearings and along the paths to the more cultivated beds, and the ducks on the lake all had ducklings, and I saw swans and cygnets! Swans are huge, which I knew, but didn’t know, you know? and these guys were pretty used to people and I got really close. They didn’t mind me, probably because I saw four people feeding waterfowl on other parts of the lake, but they hissed at all of the dogs that went by. Sounded just like a cat. Doesn't sound like much for one day, I know, but that was five hours of pretty much straight walking.

Weird stuff about France for the day: Their keyboards are different enough to disable Americans. The biggest, weirdest bit is switching the q and the a, but the z is in a crazy spot and on the bottom row they've got extra punctuation marks taking up space and I don’t remember what else. I also think that there’s some kind of secret scarf code going on.

1 comment:

  1. What's the secret scarf code? Your adventures continue to sound fascinating. Good luck with the prepositions. Love, G'ma

    ReplyDelete