Monday, July 2, 2012

Days 5-6, Sunday & Monday 1-2 July

Not many pictures, so not that much fun, sorry- we went to a beach called Fontane Bianche on Sunday that was pretty crowded, but nice, and this evening went to the square of our neighbourhood/town to watch the festival of Saint Antonio, I want to say it was, can't believe I forgot already. One weird thing about Italy is the Italians themselves, they are a pretty homogeneous group, tan skin, dark hair, dark eyes, and I'm taller than like half the men. From what I saw tonight at the festival, they seem to dress mostly like Americans, except, as mere pointed out to me, there's a weird trend for the men to flip their collars up. At the beach it was pretty different from the states, and my board shorts covered more than most of the guys' bathing suits did, and almost all of the women except some grandmothers wore bikinis (this seemed to upset Bill, but you know). The populace is consistently pretty thin, not always fit, but again homogeneous, and I guess stereotypes exist for a reason.

The festival was decidedly un-American, and I didn't see anyone who stuck out as foreign as us, which is fine; we think it's a festival purposed to blessing cars, and at 7.30ish the church bells rang and a band in the square started playing and a large wooden effigy of the saint came out of the church and hung out in front of it while a choir sang a few songs. There were two people on it but I'm not Catholic at all, and oh, I don't speak Italian, sooo I'm not sure what was going on but it was interesting. After the music, kids pulled on ropes on the front of the cart (but you could barely see the wheels, it was all in wood and decorated) and adults pushed behind and it started to go through the streets and we walked back to the house. There were some fireworks, not a lot a lot, they must have depleted them over the past four days of firing them off ....

No comments:

Post a Comment